Wednesday, September 28, 2022

Album Review: Alice Cooper - Trash


Alice Cooper - Trash

Epic Records - 1989

8.5/10

Similar to how Raise Your Fist And Yell extracted the heavier elements of Constrictor, Trash does something similar in highlighting the glammier elements. Let alone the fact that it features Bon Jovi, most of Aerosmith, and other highlight artists of the late ‘80s, but it’s also probably the horniest album lyrically. If that’s not enough, consider the obvious reaches for radio hits, as well as the continued pop-meets-metal rhythms. Thankfully, it worked pretty well.

From the gate, I can easily admit that some of the lyrics can be a bit tough to get by thanks to how corny they are. The songwriting usually saves this from being glaring, however. “House Of Fire” is an obvious radio classic, but I’d be lying if I said the lyrics were flattering in any way. That chorus structure coats itself on most of the bigger songs here, especially the eternal hit “Poison,” one that actually does have a far better poetic feel. Even “I’m Your Gun” has to be one of the most ridiculous songs in the glam era, but I find myself jamming to its heavier energy every time.

And that energy is the flipside of Trash, areas that blow off more steam. “Bed Of Nails,” the only track to feature the former guitarist Kane Roberts reverts right back to his speed metal energy and ferocious riff patterns. That’s probably the most graphically sexual tune on the whole disc, to add imagery to attitude. You could say the same with “Spark In The Dark,” delivering some rasp with the faster movements. More on the note of fitting in with the times, “Only My Heart Talkin’” rakes in the typical power balladry, featuring Steven Tyler on vocals, while the title track injects an abundance of sleaze. Truly the title fits, especially with Jon Bon Jovi’s added charm.

Being one of my first albums by the shock rocker, it obviously holds a special place in my heart. It’s impossible to overlook some of the reaching cheese that goes on here, but I can’t really say that there’s a single moment that it doesn’t somehow revive itself. Most importantly, every song manages to stick in my head and remain memorable. I understand that this may not be everybody’s thing, but I’m here for it every time.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Album Review: Slayer - Divine Intervention

  Slayer - Divine Intervention American Recordings - 1994 7.5/10 Everybody talks of how bad the veterans of '80s heavy metal tanked in t...